Thursday, February 23, 2012

Shoes Off and "Health Codes"?

Why do people worry so much about someone's feet so much?





Sometimes if I am in a restaurant I will kick my flip flops off under the table. I've had a few customers come up and say something to me. Things like "The health department will close this restaurant down if your shoes are not on". Or also "Hey I'm trying to eat here. Put your flip flops back on". One person even said awhile back "Can't you at least have socks on?" like me putting on a pair of socks is going to make her kids behave better.





It's not like my feet are cooking the food. I just have my toes over the thong strap of the shoe (or maybe one tucked under my butt). These people are wearing flip flops too!





I emailed the health department where I live in Riverside county (California). They said there is no law about this as a customer. They said they don't care about shoes.You can even be a waitress or hostess and be without shoes, wear flip flops, whatever.





If it was against the law, why is it Japanese and Moroccan restaurants don't get shut down all the time? You have to take your shoes off to sit down.





I'm not saying we all should go barefoot into Benihana. Just want to know why there are weirdos out there looking under tables to see if someone's shoes are on the whole way.|||The truth is, that almost without exception, there is no statutory basis for prohibiting bare feet anywhere, including stores and restaurants. Although store owners are free to set their own policies with regards to attire, there is no compelling reason to limit customer choice when it comes to footwear. Urban myths about bare feet being unsanitary, illegal or dangerous are generally based on lack of information and the lack of personal experience with regards to going barefoot. Studies have proven that everyday conditions in public places pose a greater threat to those who touch objects with their hands. It is more likely to transfer germs to your eyes, nose and mouth via hands than by way of feet.


http://dictionary.laborlawtalk.com/baref鈥?/a>


http://www.barefooters.org/health-dept/


Anyone who prefers to take a pass on shoes for reasons of health or comfort should be able to choose to go barefoot, free from arbitrary assumptions based on false or misleading information being used to justify exclusionary attitudes and policies. I would tell these people who approach you to mind thier own business.





"What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot grasp the fact that a human foot is more noble than the shoe and human skin more beautiful than the garment with which it is clothed." Michelangelo





|||Come one, it's really rude. Keep your damn shoes on in establishments that serve food.|||I can't believe three different paople have the balls to tell you that. My daughter and I always take our shoos off %26amp; cross our legs- Indian style. (I am a girl, on my husbands account oops)|||as long as your feet arent on the table its fine if u have a stank thats different but in flip flops ppl should butt out|||Sorry that's gross and of course, living in CA I can see why you're asking the question, however, good taste and common sense not to mention Hygiene and courtesy demand you keep your shoes on and flip flops should not even be allowed in restaurants. ugh.|||It might be against insurance regulations for a person to be barefoot in an establishment, tho obviously flip flops aren't going to provide much protection, lol. I do think it is a sign of disrespect tho to go barefoot in a restaurant. And lets face it, on a good day feet are not the best body part to begin with, and some people's are downright disgusting, so more coverage is better, esp while eating. Tho I'm sure your tooties are lovely :).|||There are no health laws that prohibit barefeet in eating establishments,


so that is not an issue. I imagine that anyone that would complain has a foot phobia, as the thin material at the bottom of a flip flop does not block the view of ones foot.


Growing up in SOCAL, we went barefoot all the time, that includes going into restaurants barefoot.


California is "barefoot friendly" so ignore what the nay sayers, and enjoy feet freedom!|||Perhaps it is not because your bare feet are ugly but because they smell.





Perhaps it is because there is a sign on the door that says NO SHOES NO SERVICE.





And what would your response be if there was a small piece of glass or metal on the floor and you happened to get it into your bare foot? Would you say it was your fault because you decided to go bare foot or would you try to sue the place because that object was on the floor? It has been my experience most people do not take responsibility for their actions and they would try to sue.





And personally, I think flip flops are tacky and not appropriate attire when at a nice place to eat. McDonalds OK, Benihana NO...|||There are no such laws anywhere that I know.


Most establishments should be happy to get customers at all these days, if they don't like the way you dress, tell them loudly (so all customers can hear) that on second thought you'll go to a better restaurant tonight and walk out :)|||As long as you're not walking around, your feet aren't emitting a noxious odor, and you're not touching your feet with your hands, there shouldn't be a problem.





The difference between feet on flip flops and feet in flip flops is so little that I can't believe anyone would come up to you and comment on it!





I mean, I don't like looking at other peoples feet, but I know that there's really nothing I can do about that, and I just have to suck it up and deal with a world in which flip flops are acceptable footwear.|||That's crazy! Those people actually had the nerve to tell you that? If your feet are under a table and you're barefoot, that's none of their business. Either those people have a foot fetish, or they have nothing else good to do. As long as your feet aren't stinky, it's no problem! It's kinda weird that people would say that, though. I live in Florida and kick my shoes off in lots of places (I even sometimes put them up on chairs or tables, when appropriate). But, I've never had anyone say that to me! You should tell them to mind their own business and that they don't have to look at your feet if they don't want to!|||I don't see a problem with what you're doing, and if it's customers telling you this just say MYOB. If the employees were telling you this I'd comply just to not rock the boat, but otherwise, go for it.|||The answer is quite simple: people have an extremely peculiar hangup about feet. Think about it. If you are wearing flip-flops, your feet are no more exposed than if you were barefoot. One tiny strap and one 1/4 inch rubber sole doesn't really cover your feet all that much.





It's a cultural thing and an environmental thing. People are irrationally conditioned to think feet are sick and gross.





It isn't true, of course. As you saw there ARE no laws about bare feet in public places. It's a myth. Restaurants and stores use that misconception to cover their behinds in case someone is barefoot and steps on broken glass or stubs a toe or something.





But really.... why on earth are people so hung up about a perfectly normal and functional body part?





We don't bury our hands in two thick leather gloves every single frikkin day of our lives, do we? It would be torture, wouldn't it? Why do you do it to your feet???








Going barefoot is natural, it's healthy, it's liberating, it's spiritual, and it's fun!





Shoes were invented by the devil to torture humans!

No comments:

Post a Comment