Sunday, February 26, 2012

How long does a merchant have to charge your credit card?

In june of last year, I unfortunately stayed in a terrible motel. I had not made a reservation and just chose it out of weariness, but I left within two hours of checking in. Issues were cleanliness and a horrendous bed. I was told I would not be charged, Ok, now it is 10 months later, and I find a charge for a room from that hotel. The owner/operators have such strong accents that I cannot understand them when I call, but I believe they said they would look into it. I waited a week and called back, but they hung up on me. I will file a dispute with the credit card, but in the meantime, how long does a merchant have to charge your card, and how will I prove that I was told I would not be charged? The young man who waited on me did not offer a different room; he said they were all pretty bad. Then he said I would not be charged. I was so tired and disgusted that I just left and found a decent place. I do not think the clerk gave me any written documentation, and why are they charging me 10 months later? When there was no charge for the first few months, I just believed the matter was over. What do I do? Thanks for any help!How long does a merchant have to charge your credit card?
Legally a merchant has a maximum of 6 months to take a charge from you. Hope the dispute goes okay. I'd probably also try contacting the better business bureau to report the motel.How long does a merchant have to charge your credit card?
I have to say that one great thing about credit cards is the ability to dispute a charge. Usually the customer always prevails unless the merchant can prove their refund policy by written documentation that you've signed or that is clearly posted. You have a great case for getting this charge removed, so just dispute it with your credit card company and they'll do the rest. You'll get a credit within 2 weeks or so.How long does a merchant have to charge your credit card?
Just dispute it with your credit card and tell them what happened. I doubt you will get far with people who do not speak english well.

No comments:

Post a Comment