Monday, February 20, 2012

Is shooting a .22 rifle or pistol a "bad activity" for a 15 year old boy in your opinion?

I have a 15 year old boy I do activities with the Catholic Big Brothers. He is sort of a sad case. His Mom is Latvian (whatever the heck that is) and married (some sort of mail order bride thing) an American who claimed he was rich. He wasn't, and he treated her son like dirt. She ended up divorced with no money, and she is so poor that she has two low paying jobs, and basically rents a room in someones house for her and her son. I met her at the food bank, and she mentioned she was worried about her son. I got jumped to the front of the Big Brothers line because I am a teacher --the background check is assumed. So we basically have done three things: Go to movies, go eat out, and go shooting. In fact at 2:30, I am leaving to take him out to dinner (he has never had sushi! I am taking him to Benihana on Ventura Blvd) and then go to see "Tron Legacy." His mother is grateful. She is up to her ears in credit card debt, and works at a fast food place and at a second job at Kohl's to pay off some hospital bills. She's broke. She is just grateful I am taking him places. I told her I would take care of his Xmas Presents this year (he wants a phone and an expensive video game, some jeans and shoes). So, the Mom is cool with me. However, the diocese representative has expressed some doubts over me taking the boy shooting. He is very mature for his age, and responsible, and has good grades in school for work habits and cooperation. He is big for his age (in fact he is about three or four inches taller than me, and about 30 or 40 pounds heavier). I think he can handle it. My Dad took me .22 shooting when I was 9 or 10. Am I crazy or out of line to take him shooting? One phone call I got recently implied it was a really oddball thing to do. I am somewhat discouraged.|||My guess is that the Catholic Big Brother organization is worried more about liability or complaints, than about whether shooting is a "bad activity."|||I can really answer this question because i am 15. It is a great activity as long he is responsible. Shooting has always been a fun activity for me and im sure it will be a great one for your friend's son.|||If the Church is against it, then forget it. You'll be blamed if he's hit by bolt of lightning at the range.|||As long as he being safe, its a great activity.|||they should do it !!|||Newell, taking a child target shooting is an excellent activity. I started shooting at age 12 and it was a lot of fun, If you teach the child the correct way to shoot and teach him/her firearm safety, then this is a good sport for them,





A child can learn safety, discipline and responsibility by learning to shoot correctly. Many families go to the firing range several times a month.





So, if you teach him safety and responsibility then you and he can have a great time together.


Good luck,,|||Hi Newell! I am Franciscan Catholic,and understand some of the issues with shooting,as far as the church goes. You should have no problem with any shooting at a range! Does he understand English well enough to teach him gun safety? That's the most important thing! He'll enjoy his experience! Oh,by the way,Lithuania is Latvia's Southern border. :)|||Shooting is a time-honored plus as an activity. You mention a diocese, so one would imagine that the organization passing judgment on shooting sports is the one known for buggery of preteen and teenage boys. There seems to be something of a disjunction here......

The thing about which to be discouraged is the oddball perception that there's something wrong with the shooting sports. I suppose it comes from your living in such an oddball environment (Los Angeles).

And as a schoolteacher, you should be at least a little knowledgeable about the Baltic states. I assume that was a bit of humor on your part.



Newell: I was a fan of Mikhail Tal back about the time you were in diapers, and a few years ago I had a dance partner who was from a suburb of Riga. I've only met a few people from Vilnius, but the history of the Lithuanian-Polish Commonwealth is pretty interesting.|||I cannot think why the church would have a problem with it except for liability reasons if he gets hurt. I am Byzantine Catholic, and one of the priest that does our liturgy is a big time hunter as well. He hunts on some of the Catholic Churches properties in the area. The other priests are all ex-military, so I know they have no issues with guns as well.


Take him and don't worry about it! Sounds like he is doing good in a hard life. Anything you can do for him will help him out.


Good luck!|||The church just doesn't want more lawsuits to deal with. If he's a responsible person and a trained adult with him showing him how to shoot the gun there shouldn't be any problems. But to put the church at ease you could take him to an official firing range and let the instructor there show him how to use the gun. They know how to keep it safe and have lots of insurance.|||My 11 year old grand daughter shoots with me quite often with her .22 rifle and .22 revolver. The 14 year old grand son also shoots his .357 mag. Ruger Blackhawk and keeps trying to pry my .45 Long Colts from me.





They have both been shooting with me since they were 9 years old.|||Will you be shooting from the hip Newell? How about practical pistol with a rear breech demonstration?





How much fun will you and the boy have sliding your bolt in and out?



A Latvian is someone from the former USSR. The sort of chick fat Americans buy over the net. she love you long time $10

No comments:

Post a Comment