Sunday, February 26, 2012

Is there a credit card that enforces its no-identification requirement, unlike MasterCard?

I have a MasterCard credit card, and I often get asked for identification to use the card. This is a flagrant violation of MasterCard's merchant policy that forbids merchants from requiring identification to accept a MasterCard.



I find this to be a huge inconvenience. Why do stores have self-swipe credit card readers if you have to hand them your card and identification anyway? They often even wait until after I've put my card and wallet away before asking to see the card and identification. I've started using cash for most in-person transactions to avoid this problem.



I'm also tired of hearing stores claim this is for my protection. That's complete bunk. I'm not liable for a penny of credit card fraud. Stores are inconveniencing their customers to save at most a few pennies per sale in fraud losses.



I've used MasterCard's online complaint page to report these violations many times without any relief. Is there a credit card company I could switch to that actually enforces a no-identification rule? I would love to start using a credit card again instead of cash.Is there a credit card that enforces its no-identification requirement, unlike MasterCard?
Who actually pays for fraud? The end user - either directly or indirectly. You are responsible up until notification - so your card gets lost, someone uses it and then you report it - you pay. Other losses - you pay in a round about way - through fees, higher shop charges etc. These costs are passed on to us by the companies involved.



If there was such a card, criminals would target users and steal them because it would be easier for them to rip us off.
  • magellan roadmate
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment