Sunday, February 26, 2012

Merchant ship jobs, how to?

I'll be in the navy for 10 years when I get out, seems crazy, but I'm just tired of the military stuff.

I did one ship or well submarine for over 5 years and well I love being at sea though.

I know there is a lot of jobs out there on ships as a civilian.

I got my G.I. Bill and my buddy recommended the merchant marine academy, after looking at their site that is not what I'm down for.

I'm married, no kids. Wife knows I like going to sea and supports it.

Doing a lot of searching around I just need someone to bomb me with some suggestions or ideas on college programs for this stuff. I'd like to get into the engineering side if possible.

If ya could throw me a bone, I'll fetch it, appreciate any useful posts.Merchant ship jobs, how to?
Used to be in the A%26amp;M corps down at the galveston merchant marine academy (TAMUG). I'm going to be completely honest with you. DO NOT just get any old job in the merchant marine, it's shitty pay and of course you know you'll never be home. Go to an academy, get a degree, and you'll be trained as a 1st mate or engineer. The cool thing too is you get a degree from TAMU and are also qualified as going through the merchant marine training program, so you'd be even more steps ahead of the rest in terms of being hired with 10 years in the navy. Starting salaries are somewhere between 50-100$K for 6 months I believe, you'll have to look into that. If you just go apply to any old merchant logistics company you'll be making nothing, probably same as what you're making now but with terrible benefits and retirement.



If you have the GI bill it makes no sense not to go to the academy, it's not that hard and makes for a VERY lucrative career if you're smart and get a few good breaks.Merchant ship jobs, how to?
maybe try a large fishing boat, big trawlers need good engineers all the time



wear about do you live, east coast west coast?Merchant ship jobs, how to?
If you're interested in working in the oil patch or on tugboats, the workboat schools are fantastic. I took a simulator class with a bunch of them. MITAGS and Pacific Maritime Institute run a 2 year program that is covered under the GI bill, and includes work experience... it also pays a reasonable wage for the sea time portion of the classes. Your time is split between classes, off time and a job as a trainee on a tug.



I've worked ships, and I've worked tugs. Tugs pay WAY better, starting at 75k for a 2 week on 2 off rotation for near coastal work. The oil field pays well for experienced captains and mates, too.
  • apa 6th edition
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment