Sunday, February 26, 2012

How do I sign up for a merchant account on ebay? What is authorize.net?

I am searching for a merchant account to accept payments for items I sell on ebay. I am tired of Paypal, their fees, and their constant limiting of my account. So please don't suggest I use them, that's not an option for me. I know ebay accepts merchant accounts but the whole thing is very confusing to me. Do I need a merchant account plus a gateway account such as authorize.net, or will authorize.net provide everything I need? Does anyone have any other suggestions for merchant accounts? Thank you!How do I sign up for a merchant account on ebay? What is authorize.net?
Finding merchant accounts is easy: just google "merchant account" and you'll find like a gazillion of them.



The biggest thing you'll need for a merchant account is a business bank account. You MIGHT be able to use a personal account, but some of them can be picky about this.



Once you find a merchant account vendor you like, contact them and they will probably email you an application. There are some things they check, but for the most part you shouldn't have much of a problem getting one. I know people who just got out of bankruptcy who were able to get a merchant account pretty quickly.



Your biggest limitation here is IF you want to let your customers use eBay to pay with their credit card. If you do, you'll need to use one of the pre-approved merchant account providers eBay has. Here's the link for that:



https://arbd.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?S鈥?/a>



If you DON'T want to use these, then you'll have to have some sort of workaround that lets you invoice your customer via the merchant account provider. Just about all of them allow you to enter in CC information via a website; but not all of them have invoicing for customer purchases, so you may find it a hassle trying to get your customers to send you their CC info or call you on the phone with it.



Now here's a bit of bad news. Merchant accounts typically aren't cheap. In fact, unless you are doing a significant sales volume on eBay, the merchant account will actually end up being costlier than using PayPal. So, yes, you get a lot more flexibility and freedom with a merchant account, but it can come at a steeper price.



I've considered getting a merchant account plenty of time, and I used to actually have one. But I found the cost was just too prohibitive. Besides, the vast majority of my sales were paid for with PayPal, even though I was able to accept ALL the major credit cards.



Hope this helps.How do I sign up for a merchant account on ebay? What is authorize.net?
Hi, Authorize.Net is a payment gateway. A merchant account will always have one of the payment gateways e.g. authorize.net, ePN or others. A merchant account charges much less than e-Bay and have a much more quicker payout, usually 48 hours. There are various companies who offer merchant accounts. You can have options of a free payment software or physical terminal. You can even have a live 24 by 7 online payment gateway so customers can pay themselves. All this is possible because its more like a bank account, manually checked. Thus you get better and LIVE customer service :)



You can contact James Lyn at 860-661-0000 or email james@ppseast.com for info and rates. He works with Priority Payment Systems and can help you in it.



Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment