Tuesday, January 24, 2012

How do they make the flame on a Teppanyaki grill (ie Benihana style grill)?

What substance do they use to make the flame flare up on the grill when the chef is preparing to cook. I know it is mainly for entertainment. I own a teppanyak grill in my back yard kitchen and I was curious how to make the flame to dazzle my guests. I assume it may be some type of alchohol?|||It is a grain alcohol, similar to vodka, it has a neutral taste as not to take away the taste from the food, sake is only 14% and brandy tends to add a taste, I worked in a hotel that had a BeniHana in the establishment.





Just be careful it can be a nice show but it is also dangerous if not done right, we did alot in the kitchens I worked in, but the biggest thing is once you have added the alcohol, stand back for it to flame, and take it off the heat before pouring anything on, it can flash, come back into the bottle and cause an explosion, use a measured amount, pour off the flame, tilt the pan or vessel to catch the heat, and stand back until the flame dies out, as by then there is no more alcohol or chance of flashback on you.|||just put oil and brandy when you are cooking, my cook alway do this to do this show to customer





Monica


www.tiebanshao.com


+86-15301655392

Report Abuse


|||they use a certain alchol and usually a match. they would pour out a small amount of alcohol on the grill, then put the match up to it, and it'll flame. my dad works at a restuarant with a tetppanyaki grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment